Copied directly from Chocolate Moosey.
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces or 4 tablespoons) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and salt.
In another large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy, about 1-2 minutes.
Beat in the egg yolk, molasses, and vanilla (it may look curdled - keep going).
Gradually beat in the flour mixture until a dough forms.
Gather the dough and transfer to a sheet of plastic wrap. Top with a second sheet of plastic wrap. Roll out the dough until 1/4 inch thick. Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until cold.
Once cold, cut out shapes with a floured cookie cutter and place on a cookie tray. Gather up the scraps and repeat until dough is gone. If the dough sticks too much, refrigerate until cold.
Freeze the cookie tray for at least 15 minutes while you preheat the oven to 350F.
Bake 8-10 minutes or until the edges are firm. Cool for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling completely.